Thursday, June 9, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Changing Attitudes

Yesterday was a better day. None of the circumstances changed: the gnats still swarmed, the white pollen seeds flew everywhere and the temperature was still in the mid-80's. What changed was my attitude. I found a creative way to use my Buff to deal with the gnats and pollen and left early in the morning to get ahead of the heat. I tried to focus on the needs of other pilgrims and not so much on myself. I'd love to stay that I had no crabby thoughts but that would be lying. 
When this group of teenagers buzzed by me with their little daypacks and tennis shoes with obviously no blisters, I thought to myself "that's not fair". But as others have told me before, "There are lots of ways to do the Camino". Having the school van transport all their suitcases and probably doing only a smaller section of the Camino must be their way.

God has a plan for all of us and it isn't my place to judge what's fair. Hopefully, I can bring this lesson back with me after I finish my own "adjusted" Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.