Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Lost and Out of Gas in Ozark Mountains

I debated the title of this post being called either "The Kindness of Strangers" or "Out of Gas in the Ozarks". Knowing human nature I thought the tragic sounding title might make people more curious to read the post, so I went that way, and here you are. (Not that you are reading this post just because the title sounded tragic).

During my week in the Ozarks, I enjoyed looking at the view of the mountains near the Ozark View RV Park. This RV park has full hookups and a laundry facility at the main office. They also have a DVD and a book lending library. My site was right by the office and I loved the views both front and back from site #4. Ozark View is about 25 minutes south of Branson, Missouri, though I didn't do much in Branson other than grocery shopping. Now you may have heard of Branson as a big tourist attraction area and are wondering why I didn't do any of the usual tourist things. Well, having spent quite a lot of money in the last two months on equipment and supplies for the RV, my budget doesn't allow me to spend money on the Showboat Branson Belle cruise or Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede dinner and show. Now, I'm not complaining, mind you, but I am putting these on my list of things to do whenever I am driving back through Branson, Missouri.

Now I bet you are wondering about the "out of gas" part. Okay, time for true confessions. On my last night, I asked Brandon what he would do in the Ozark Mountains. He suggested elk viewing. This reminded me of my childhood when we would go looking for deer near the Delaware River Gap, so I excitedly headed off. Well, I found a herd of elk at dusk and tried to take a few photos (iPhone failure). Now, here comes the stupid part. I forgot to fill my CR-V's gas tank before I left and suddenly realized I had less than 1/4 tank. No problem, right? Wrong. I had driven south from the park through Harrison to the area around Ponca which had been about 50 miles (over an hour driving). Having seen only one local bar/store/gas station on that route, I decided to head south to one of the other towns marked on the map, thinking they would be closer.

Well, somehow I missed Route 16 East as indicated on the southern part of this marked map and ended up heading further south along Route 21 till I got to Fallsville. (Population so low that the Arkansas census includes all towns in a 20-mile radius and the total is only 120). I only knew I was in a town when I saw the abandoned and rusting gas pumps on the corner of Route 21 and Route 16 West. (So, yes, this was one of Crazy Aunt Cathy's "Adventures"). Realizing I was in real trouble, I did what anyone would do at this moment. Panicked! Just then, a young teenage boy rode by on his bicycle. Yes, out of the middle of nowhere, a kid on a bike. So, I followed him, at a distance that wouldn't freak him out into thinking he was being stalked, and when he leaned his bike against the house, I called out my car window and asked him where the nearest gas station was. He looked a little alarmed and said, wait, let me get my parents.

The boy's father came out and said that nearest open gas station was in Jasper, approximately 60 miles away. He noticed the needle on my fuel gauge and then offered to give me some gas he had been saving for himself since they lived so far from a station. I was overwhelmed by his generosity and felt bad that I had no cash and only credit cards with me. He said it was not a big deal and then gave me directions on how to get back to Route 16 East. While he filled my tank he shared how difficult it was to find work in the Ozarks but how much he loved living there. They had moved away once but missed the mountains. On the drive home I prayed for him and his family and asked God to bless them for their hospitality. The experience reminded me of the Bible story of the Good Samaritan and I was the poor person on the side of the road who needed help.

Okay, now here is what I learned from this experience: your smartphone won't have service, roads won't always be well-marked, not everyone takes credit cards, you may have car trouble in the middle of nowhere and always start with a full tank of gas. So, here is what's in my CR-V now or what I put in it when I go out exploring:
  • Rand McNally road atlas
  • Bottles of water
  • Lara bars, Slim Jims and other non-perishable food
  • Flashlight (solar with emergency settings)
  • Winter coat, blanket and a hammock (for sleeping, just in case)
  • Driver's license in a small change purse to take with me hiking
  • Cash
  • First Aid Kit
If you are a wandering RVer or outdoor enthusiast, what do you keep in your car that I should be adding to my list?  Add your thoughts to the comments below:

2 comments:

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.