Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Re-learning How to Cook in an RV

Now, I know you're probably thinking, so what's the big deal about cooking in an RV? I've gone camping before and it wasn't so hard. Well, I totally get that. I didn't really think much about cooking in an RV until I paid $25 for a half a tank of propane. So, what's a camper to do? Well, for me, the solution was to stop cooking with propane (my stove and oven both use gas) and to use electric appliances instead. My favorites are my grandmother's waffle iron, my 6-quart Instant Pot and my new induction cooktop. On a nice day, I set up an outdoor kitchen. I bought a 6-foot long folding table at Walmart so with the picnic table this gives me 12 feet of counter space instead of the 2 feet I have in the RV. Another bonus is that all the mess and smells of cooking stay outside so I don't have to smell my onions when I want to sleep later.

Another favorite cooking tool is my convection microwave. At first, I will admit, I was intimidated by the idea of baking, grilling and roasting in a microwave. I just couldn't imagine how it was going to work. But, to my surprise, it actually did a pretty good job of baking my paleo, pumpkin, carrot muffins. There are really only two challenges that I've encountered so far using the microwave. One is that it is located above my stove (translate - above my head), so I have to use a stool to put things in and out of the microwave. The second challenge is that the microwave is about 9"x9" so all my regular pans won't fit in the oven, so I had to buy smaller pans and cook recipes in two batches. This is all a part of the adventure of learning to live in an RV full time and I honestly have to admit I am kind of proud of myself for all that I am learning as part of this journey.

If you have any tips or tricks you want to share about cooking in an RV or just general camping cooking, please use the comment section below to share with me and those who are following this blog.

If there are other topics or questions you would like me to write about, add those to the comments section and I will do my best to answer them.

Thank you to all my friends and family who continue to support me and pray for me during this amazing experience. I look forward to visiting with many of you as I travel around the USA. If I don't see you in the next few weeks, have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. That does sound challenging, but you still have your blender, so your smoothies won't suffer. Still jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. When I was downsizing my kitchen back in the condo, I knew I just had to have my blender and the coffeepot.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.