Thursday, August 29, 2019

Connecticut RV Camping and Rhode Island Fun Visit

Looking for a happy place to camp with family and friends? Well, then the Nelson Family Campground in East Hampton, Connecticut is your kind of place. The owners of this campground have created a special spot where families come to spend quality time together. The first thing I noticed when I drove up to the main office was the number of kids running in and out of the recreation center. They were laughing and having a great time together. It was obvious that this campground is a place where families and friends return summer after summer. Quite a few campers settle here for the full season (other campers refer to these folks as seasonals). Their sites are wonderfully decorated and equipped for a long-term stay.  My own site was located next to a pond, but not in a place where I could see the pond, but more like below it. I am sure that if you booked in advance rather than just a week before like I did that you might be able to get a site with a view.


About a half a mile from the campground is Lake Pocotopaug in East Hampton. This is a privately owned and maintained lake for the residents of the town.  When I stopped by the local beach, the attendant was nice enough to let me take a few quick photos of the beautiful lake.  For those RVers who might be towing a boat, the Nelson Family Campground has a dock and place for a boat on this private lake. Unfortunately, I didn't ask if there is an extra cost to use this since I didn't have a boat, but it is something worth knowing, just in case you want to take a boat out on the lake in East Hampton. While I was only in the Connecticut and Rhode Island area for 4 days, I found East Hampton to be a very relaxing and charming place to call home.

But, the best part of my quick stop on the way north to tour the eastern provinces of Canada was the chance it gave me to catch up with my good friend, Doreen in Warwick, Rhode Island. Doreen is one of the dearest people I know and she made it her mission to ensure that I had a true Rhode Island experience. The first thing she did was to bring me coffee and a doughnut from Duncan Doughnuts. These coffee shops are everywhere in Rhode Island and Doreen tells me that a true Rhode Island experience is not complete without coffee. She also made sure that I got a bucket of lemonade mix. It seems that you can't come to Rhode Island without getting this amazing summer treat. Having finished our coffee, we went for a hike at Rocky Point State Park. This lovely walking trail is located at the site of a previous amusement park. The paved paths wind in and out of trees along the beautiful Narragansett Bay. It was the perfect place to walk and talk with a friend.

Of course, any trip to Warwick needs to include a stop at Iggy's Doughboy and Chowder House. Iggy's is considered a must-see landmark since it is the oldest beach stand in Rhode Island. I ordered their famous burger and a homemade soda.  Both were great! (Sorry folks, I am not a lover of seafood. If you are it looks like this would be a great place to get chowder.)

It was so nice to sit by the water and visit with Doreen. Just spending the morning with my dear friend reminded me how important it is that I make time during my travels to reconnect with friends and family. The Oola Life guys tried to teach me this when they made Friends one of the F's in a balanced Oola Life. It was great to be reminded of this.  So look out friends, here I come!

Thank you to all of you who support me in my life and who encourage me in my crazy RV life. You are AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.