Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Wheat-Free Bacon Pancake Breakfast Sandwich From Nom Nom Paleo

I am a big fan of breakfast sandwiches, both the fast-food kind and those you can buy in the grocery store. But, I can't tolerate wheat, refined sugars, and toxic additives. I feel terrible when I eat these pre-made foods.

So, I hunted for a healthier alternative and found this recipe at Nom Nom Paleo. I made a few revisions to Michelle's recipe based on my personal tastes. This is not something I would eat every day, but for a weekend treat, absolutely yes.  Oh, just so you know, my dad said he loved these and he's not a diet food person.

INGREDIENTS
cooked bacon strips, thick slice or 10 thinly sliced
¼ cup mashed ripe banana (1 medium banana)
4 large eggs
6 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of Bob’s Red Mill organic coconut flour
1 Tbsp. Bob Mill's organic almond flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
ghee or coconut oil (for frying)
2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided among the sandwiches

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Place bacon strips on a wire rack over a cookie sheet. Place in oven and cook until crisp (about 10 minutes). Remove bacon from the oven and set aside. 
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, mash the banana with a fork until creamy. 
  4. Add eggs, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Mix well. 
  5. In another bowl, mix coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.  
  6. Add wet ingredients and mix well until there are no lumps. 
  7. Preheat a skillet and grease lightly with coconut oils. (I used a nice electric skillet and preheated it to 300 degrees F) 
  8. Pour 2 tablespoons of batter into a rectangularly shaped pancake. Cook as you would regular pancakes until the desired brown-ness is achieved on both sides. 
  9. Assemble sandwiches with two pancakes, one slice of bacon and about 2 teaspoons of maple syrup on each.
Makes 5 sandwiches: 299 calories each based on my revisions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.