Sunday, December 15, 2019

Instant Pot Zuppa Tuscano (Whole30 Sausage, Potato, Kale Soup)

This soup is similar to a favorite that I get at a restaurant where I order the unlimited soup and salad. I found a few Whole30 versions online and adapted them for the Instant Pot.  When I am not doing a Whole30, I make a few adjustments. They are in bold italics.

Ingredients
1 pound ground pork
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
¼ teaspoon black pepper
 [I substitute a premade packaged sausage for above ingredients when not on Whole30]

½ cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. dry thyme (or 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves)

(If using premade sausage, add oregano, thyme, adjust fennel to taste after browning)

4 cups chicken bone broth or other Whole30 compliant broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juices
1 pound potatoes, chopped (red or russet work)
4 cups chopped kale (or whole baby kale leaves)

Directions
Set Instant Pot to sauté high setting. Heat the olive oil, then add the ground pork, Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, fennel seeds, and black pepper. (or add premade sausage if not on a Whole30) Mix well. Add the onion and garlic. Cook stirring frequently, until the meat is browned.

Stir in broth, canned tomatoes with juices, and potatoes. Switch Instant Pot setting to Manual, high pressure, turn vent knob to sealing, set timer for 5 minutes, close lid. When time ends, quick release by switching knob to venting (be careful – use a wooden spoon to turn knob and cover with a cloth).

Add the kale. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes until kale is wilted. Season with additional salt and black pepper and serve. (If not on Whole30, I might add "half and half" and stir till warmed through.) If the kale isn't wilting in the hot soup or the half and half cooled it off too much, you can reset Instant Pot to saute and simmer for a few minutes. 



Serves 4 - 2 cups servings.  Approximately 400 calories 

To print a "photo-less" version of the recipe, click here.

My Notes:
As a full-time camper who usually has at least an electric hookup, I love my Instant Pot. It makes cooking so easy and clean-up even easier. You just throw everything in and walk away. No more stirring the pot on the stove or having to watch to make sure it doesn't boil over. Since the inner metal pot comes right out, I find it much easier to clean than my old crockpot and rice cooker were.

I make this soup first thing in the morning after I teach my VIPKID classes. After it cools down a bit, I put the soup in mason jars and stick two in the fridge and two in the freezer. (If putting in the freezer, don't fill the jars all the way.  Leave room for the soup to expand as it freezes.)

Do you make soups in the Instant Pot? If yes, do you have a favorite recipe?  Do you have any tips for the newbies about adapting recipes for the Instant Pot?

I enjoy sharing my life with all of you but I love it, even more, when you share your comments and suggestions with all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.