Monday, June 6, 2016

There are Many Ways to Do the Camino

There are lots of different ways to do the Camino de Santiago. The "true pilgrim" way, as was stated by a character in the movie "The Way" is to suffer. Walk for long days in the heat while carrying all of your belongings on your back; stay in albergues where you hand wash your laundry, eat simple pilgrim meals and sleep in bunk beds listening to 20 people snore.

This was my vision for my trip with an occasional hotel stay to refresh before beginning again. But when a fellow pilgrim saw me slowly limp into town last night she said, "it's supposed to be a pilgrimage, not a martyrdom".
She said there is another way, the "Camino Ways". This company sets up your trip so you can pack a suitcase and then walk with a small day pack. A luggage transportation company picks up your suitcase and delivers it to your next casa rural or hotel. The only disadvantage is that you have to preselect your accommodations in the states for each night so you can't stop early if you want.
While the idea of walking the Camino at your pace and stopping spontaneously sounds great, in reality, I find myself walking longer days so I can meet up again with the friends I made the night before. With the blisters I have right now, my new way may mean that on days with hills I have my pack delivered with everyone else's suitcases. After all, there are many ways to do the Camino.

4 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    Stick to your own pace. God will provide friends and companionship when he wills it, but don't hurt your feet and body trying to keep up with someone else's pace. Be nice to the feet! You can do it, one step at a time. Missing you. Buen Camino. From Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa
    Thank you for the reminder that God has a better plan for my Camino than I do. I stopped trusting and tried to take control again! I am still learning on this Camino. Missing my turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I agree with Melissa... The best way is to do it your way. God is providential in every way. I would also remember what Ana at Albergue Del Perdon said..." The Camino is not going anywere... the point is to enjoy the journey. Take time to find the rocks with your name on them and take the load off. There is no shortage of people ready to share a smile and a meal on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving up control and surrendering to God's plan is the hardest lesson of the Camino de Santiago and the Camino de life! Fuerza, Cathy! You got this.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.