Friday, June 3, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Chicken Miracle

Today is my second day in Santa Domingo de la Calzada. The city has a miracle story that involves chickens and St. Dominic de la Calzada. The story goes that a young German pilgrim boy was falsely accused of stealing and was hanged. His sad parents continued their pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. On their way home, they found their son still alive being held up by the spirit of Saint Dominic. When they told the chief magistrate he did not believe them and said their son was as alive as the roasted chicken on his plate. Suddenly the cooked hen and rooster came back to life.  It was a miracle!
After this miracle the church has kept a live hen and rooster in the church as a reminder. Yup, you can hear the rooster crowing all during Mass and at the evening rosary. I found it hard not to giggle every time I heard them. The story reminds me that miracles happen in our lives in unusual and unexpected ways. Pilgrims share what we have and who we are with each other very quickly. This is a miracle in today's crazy world! Thank you to all who have been so kind to me!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these amazing experiences with us. What a beautiful story! Wish I was there to giggle with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE reading these stories Cathy. I feel as if I am on the journey with you......

    ReplyDelete
  3. me to cant wait for each new one love mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, We look forward to your daily messages. It makes you seem near by! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments; it's like you are with me and I turn to you and say, "Did you see that?".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell me more about the condition of your feet? Do they hurt all day? Where are the blisters? What is the prognosis for healing?

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.