Thursday, June 16, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Cold in Astorga

After the warm, windy, buggy, rainy days of the long and flat Meseta, Astorga is a delightful surprise. The town has many things to explore, including a chocolate museum. Of course in the next few days, we will be climbing another big mountain range and things will be getting colder (43 degrees) but I think this is what I needed to lift my spirits. The hostel in Astorga is an old Spanish manor home with a wood-burning fireplace and a lovely bunch of couches to sit around and visit with other pilgrims. 
Many books and websites say that the Meseta tests you emotionally but I don't think I fully understood what that meant until I experienced it. While I am sure it is different for each person, the Meseta revealed in me a tendency to think too much about what isn't working and not enough about what is working. For example, I think about how I've taken the bus or a cab for almost 100 miles so far due to injuries and/or illness instead of thinking I've already walked 200 miles. This causes me to think this is too hard for me and I should quit. Thankfully there have been some wonderful priests, nuns, fellow pilgrims, Albergue hosts, family and friends who continue to encourage me to keep going. (Thank you) So the biggest lesson the Meseta taught me is that I need to accept help from others so I can continue to do what seems impossible!

12 comments:

  1. Yay for finishing the meseta! From here on out is my favorite part of the Camino. Enjoy! You'll be home (and missing it) before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the repeat walkers I've met are saying the same thing! Can't wait to leave my rock at Cruz de Ferro

      Delete
  2. What a great reflection! When I think of you facing adversity, I remember you attempting to dismantle a beaver dam. Sometimes your expectations of yourself are pretty high! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL What a great memory! Thanks for reminding me of some other great adventures

      Delete
  3. You are in Spain, walking the Camino! My goodness, most people never get that far! I am so proud of you, and did I mention jealous! Definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today says "no postings". Is that because you are having too much fun? Hope all is well. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top of the mountain had no phone or wifi so I couldn't post but yes we were having fun!

      Delete
  5. Keep making the impossible possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine Ellen, I ditto Susie's comment : you are truly inspiring. Yes, the meseta is desolate ! You have overcome it all !

    "Bona"

    ReplyDelete
  7. In looking back at my trip, I also tend to want to focus on how I "failed" at not being the perfect pilgrim. But really what is the perfect pilgrim and or pilgrimage? Everyone's journey is different, everyone will walk and react in their own way. This is true for our journey and faith walk. Do not be resistant to the process of the lessons that God is showing you. You are your own unique self, you are walking and accomplishing your own journey on your own terms. There is no pass or fail. There is just experience and the making of memories. Most people live their lives wishing to do things. You my dear took the plunge.You made it happen, you are there. The buses you traveled and are part of the experience. How many people would have said...I am done... not you... You are my inspiration and remember what you said to me in that bench at the albergue in Pamplona... give yourself grace and mercy just like God does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your ongoing support and words of encouragement. Love us!

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.