Saturday, June 18, 2016

Be Brave

Yes, that little rock that says "Be Brave" is the rock that I've been carrying in my backpack since May 22nd. Today it was left with all the other pilgrims' rocks at the top of a very tall mountain at a cross called the Cruz de Ferro. Pilgrims have been leaving rocks here for a very long time. The photos below may help give you an understanding of exactly how many rocks there are. Millions!
It was very cold, windy, rainy and misty this morning when we hiked up to the cross. It made the whole experience feel more personal and somehow mystical (in a spiritual way). Tradition has it that leaving the rock symbolizes that you move forward in the Camino leaving your burdens behind. I have to admit it was something I really wanted to do and the thought of hiking up this mountain and leaving the stone helped to keep me from quitting.


Pope Francis said once, "Ask God what He wants from you and then be brave. So I am asking. . .

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Such a lesson for all life's burdens- to lay them at the foot of the cross! Enjoy walking "lighter", pilgrim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ARE so brave, dearest sister! This post brought lots of tears to my eyes and tugs at my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! You did it!!! You are demonstrating courage for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting to reading this today....you are braver than you know my friend......

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.