Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Sometimes You Jump Over Mountains

Sometimes the Camino arrows give you choices like a walk along the longer river path into Burgos or take the shorter walk past the airport. Another choice might be to take a higher, shorter hike over the mountain or a longer, less scenic walk along a road around the mountain. At other times you may have to make your own choice. For example today I decided that I just can't physically climb up and down another huge mountain because of the toll the last mountain took on my knees and ankles. So I took the bus from Villafranca del Bierzo to Lugos and then another bus from Lugos to Sarria. (Image below shows I am skipping the first half of the sixth phase)

This is the last time I can use a bus or taxi for any part of the Camino. The last 100 kilometers must all be walked and two sellos (stamps) added each day to my pilgrim's passport. Today's decision allows me to walk more slowly again and to fully enjoy the churches and other scenery along the way without worrying about deadlines. Once again my lesson is that I have to stop pushing too hard and injuring myself. Whatever way I finish the Camino is the right way for me.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Cath. What you've done so far is a big deal !!!!You've gotten so many precious insights. Just trust God to get you where He wants you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the enjoyable way being the right way! Seeing the scenery and churches should be as important as hiking.
    Thanks for including us on your hike. Look forward to seeing you before too long.
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom and Dad for your daily support during this experience. It's been so nice to share this with you. More to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up Cathy. You are rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support nyredrose2. (Julie) I keep using your mantra - I can do this!

      Delete
    2. Melissa arrived in CT last night. We had a nice dinner which included wine and Camino stories. She also played my dancing and twirling video for Dan.

      I think the mantra is yours too... You are doing it!!!!

      Delete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.