Friday, June 24, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Pain is a Teacher

It's not really pain itself that is the teacher but how you choose to deal with it that teaches you. The Camino gives you lots of opportunities to practice dealing with pain: physical, emotional, and spiritual. You can try to avoid the pain, dull and numb the pain or work through the pain. During this Camino, I have done all three. However it seems to be the times when I worked through the pain and asked for God's help that I got stronger; like the day I climbed up a mountain in a freak spring freezing cold, sleet, and rain thunderstorm.
In my everyday life, there are times when things may be a pain; doing the dishes, cleaning the house, reconciling with someone I've hurt, or speaking truth to someone. The Camino has taught me to do what needs to be done despite the pain and not to avoid it. I may make adjustments to ease the pain but ultimately I just need to do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.