Saturday, June 18, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Warning Bad Feet

It seems that every pilgrim I've met has a ziplock bag filled with pharmaceuticals for their feet or knees or tendons. As we drink our coffee and eat our breakfasts we begin the ritual of preparing for the day. For some, that means taping up muscles and downing 600 mg. of vitamin I (ibuprofen) while for most, like me, it means putting Compeed (a foot plaster) on our old dry blisters and gauze with tape on the new ones. I warned you that this post would be about bad feet so if you don't want to see it you better stop reading this post, okay, I warned you. Be ready to see some serious foot rot...
Yup, you just had to look. This set of blister on blister is an old one and one of the better-looking ones, too. Sorry about that; I promise there will be no more blister photos on this blog! 

6 comments:

  1. Cathy, I have to admit I am behind on your blog. The packing to move and everything else that goes with that has consumed so much time. My Mom asked about you last night (she follows Facebook). I am so excited for you. Wish I was there. Poor feet! Hang in there. You are doing great! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you all had to see those ugly blisters. They have been my constant companion since Zubiri. Missing my fellow turtles. Hope your move is going well.

      Delete
  2. ouch! That looks like a "get you out of purgatory early' sacrifice We'll keep praying.Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine Ellen, that looks soo painful !

    Love 'Bona'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeeeeeeew!!! I admire you so much, lil turtle! Now I know to pray even more for your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know there is a patron saint of feet?
    Saint Servatius was born in Armenia during the fourth century and was said to be a distant relative to Our Savior and to Saint John the Baptist. Servatius became a priest and guardian of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. While in Jerusalem, he had a vision in which he was ordered to go to Tongres to succeed Bishop Valentine. Servatius had been bishop of Tongres for several years when the Huns threatened to invade the city. In 382, as a refuge, Servatius took a pilgrimage to Rome where he had another vision. Saint Peter told him that Tongres would be destroyed and to move his see to Maastricht. Peter also handed Servatius the key to the Gates of Heaven, which gave him the power to forgive sins, and to open or lock the Gates.

    No more than a few days after his relocation to Maastricht, Servatius fell ill with fever from an infection in his leg. He died on May 13, 384.

    Saint Servatius is recognized today as the patron of those who suffer with foot or leg ailments. His feast day is May 13th.

    Saint Servatius, Pray for Us.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.