Friday, July 1, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Cathedral Rooftop Tour

Yes, I am home now but I wanted to continue to share some of the highlights of my days in Santiago de Compostela after I completed the Camino. For example, I highly recommend the rooftop and museum tour of the cathedral to anyone who might have the chance to visit Santiago de Compostela. The view is amazing! 
While you're on the roof, the tour guide teaches you about the cathedral, its construction, and its history. It's only about 100 steps up to the roof and you get to stop in the choir loft where pilgrims slept in the medieval ages.
I imagined what it must have been like to sleep with all those people. (Much worse than today's albergues) The tour guide explained how the artwork on the walls and ceiling was whitewashed with lime to kill germs during the plagues. Currently, the cathedral is undergoing restoration of the art and the stonework. There was so much to see and we were able to get up close to much of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.