Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Good Bye Sticks & Bricks Home: Ready for Full-time RV Life

Yesterday I said good-bye to my sticks and bricks home (a 1250 sq. ft. condo). Six years ago I walked into my condo filled with a great deal of excitement and joy about all of the opportunities that were coming into my new life in Washington, DC. These past few years were very good to me. I earned my Ph.D. in Education and made some great friends at work. There are no regrets about my decision to sell the condo and to leave except that it will be hard to say goodbye to everyone. After I did my final walk-through of the condo, I took this last photo. It was kind of weird to see it look just as it did 6 years ago. I am not 100% sure how I feel about selling my condo and literally becoming homeless until I buy my RV. Part of me is a little scared of the unknown and the other part just can't wait to get started.

I also know that right now I feel very overwhelmed and extremely exhausted. If you've been reading this blog, or you are a family member or close friend, you know that I have been downsizing and minimizing the number of possessions I own since March. I thought I had reduced what I own to only those things that are essential to an RV life. Well, let me tell you that as much as I got rid of, after moving all of it to either my niece Julia's house or to the hotel room I am in today, there is still too much stuff. At one point I found myself holding a bundt pan in one hand and a salad spinner in the other saying to myself "really, you thought these things were essential?". Needless to say, they both found their way into the Goodwill box. There is still more sorting to do and other items that will surely find their way to Goodwill but after a week of moving and sorting, I am happily settled into my hotel room ready to start some serious RV shopping.




Well, that is as soon as I finish finding a place for everything I brought with me to the hotel. Yes, that is actually a DVD burner on the table and it is essential as I plan to make a few home videos for my new Young Living Essential Oils business once things settle down a little bit. And, the new shredder is essential since I am purging my old financial records after I scan them into my computer. So, now that you've heard about my efforts to reduce my possessions to the "essentials", what are the "essentials" in your life? Even if you aren't moving or downsizing, is there a way you can create some space in your life by eliminating some things?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.