Monday, August 7, 2017

They'll Be Days Like This: Full-Time RV Life Drama

The Van Morrison song, "They'll Be Days Like This" kept running through my head on Friday as I dealt with one disappointment after the other. As you might guess, it was a hard day. For over a month, I planned and planned again to fly to Pensacola early on Friday so I could go to the DMV to get my Florida driver's license, register my car, declare my intent to domicile and then drive to Atlanta to buy my dream RV.

Let's just say that on paper it was a perfect plan.
  • Leave for BWI airport by 4:30 am
  • Flight to Atlanta at 7:00am
  • Flight to Pensacola at 10:00am
  • Pick up Rental Car 10:30 am Central Time
  • Arrive at DMV in Crestview, Florida by noon.
But as I am sure you know, not everything that is perfect on paper ends up perfect in reality. Here is what the day really looked like:
  • Left for the airport by 4:45am
  • Four airport shuttles came by "full" and didn't stop to take me to terminal 
  • Finally, one had pity on me and squeezed me on the shuttle
  • Run through TSA Pre-check security and get to the gate by 6:30am
  • Flight delayed, so sit down at the gate and "FALL ASLEEP" (Yes, I did!)
  • Missed my 7am flight cause no one woke me up (so sad)
  • On the standby list for 8:00 am flight. Last to board plane (thank God)
  • In Atlanta on a standby list for 12:45 flight
  • Flight delayed till 2:05 pm, finally left at 3:00 pm
  • Arrive Pensacola at 3:30pm Central Time 
  • The rental car company doesn't have the car I ordered cause I'm late
  • The company works it out for me (Like Enterprise)
  • Drive to Crestview and arrive at 4:15 pm
  • Find out that DMV doesn't issue driver's licenses after 3:30 pm
  • CRY and CRY and CRY.  Yup, I cried like a baby.
  • The DMV clerk was so kind and still helped me register my car.
  • She gave me short-cut directions to County Clerk's office.
  • Arrive at County Clerk's Office at 4:55 pm.
  • Again, a very nice clerk helped me declare my intent to domicile.
So, despite a tough beginning, I ended the day as a Florida resident. What I learned from this experience, is that I would advise others to go down to Florida the night before so you have all day to get things done. This will help to reduce some of the stress of getting three different things accomplished with the DMV and County offices on the same day.   And, be gentle with yourself and forgive yourself when things don't always go according to your plans. God will work all things to the good for those who love Him.

1 comment:

  1. Just checking to see if the comment feature is working. Feel free to add your own words of sympathy or just tell me to "buck up" if you think I was being a big baby. :)

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.