Sunday, September 10, 2017

Rudds Creek, Kerr Lake, VA NC border - Campground Review


Well, friends, my early retirement and full-time RV life has begun. My sister Susie was my first travel buddy. Our trip was 1000 miles from Maryland to Alabama. I broke it up into 4 sections of 250 miles each (about 6 hours a day on the road). Our first day's stop was Rudds Creek Park on the John H. Kerr Lake (Dam and Reservoir). This state park is located off of Interstate 85 near Virginia and North Carolina border. The state park is managed by the Army Corp of Engineers and was built to help manage floods. As a matter of fact, the engineers had just released some of the water in the lake to lower its level in anticipation of the heavy rains associated with Hurricane Irma. I took a photo of the map so you can see how the park is laid out. I paid $26 for the site.


Since I wanted a pull-through, our site #71 was not on the lake but close by. As a matter of fact, our favorite site was #87 which was a little further down the road on our loop. It was a nice back-in with a flat gravel pad. The picnic table had a great view of the lake. All of the sites have a fire ring, extra table for cleaning fish and a metal post with a hook for hanging lanterns. The sites had electric and water hookups so we didn't have to listen to anyone running their generators. The bathroom in our loop was so new, nice and clean it surprised us as we anticipated something more rustic. Other amenities in the park included a beach, boat ramps and a dump station near the entrance. The only downside was that there was no wifi access so we couldn't blog or post without using our phone data plans. Even then, it was a little tough as my ATT service bounced between 2 bars and no service.

While we had arrived on September 6th in the rain, the morning of the 7th was clear and beautiful. Susie and I took our camp chairs and our coffee mugs down to the shore on site #88 and listened to our morning prayers on the "Pray as You Go" app using our iPhones. The mist on the lake danced and swirled like little water spouts. Fish jumped, turtles poked their heads up and frogs splashed in and out of the water. Susie and I could have spent hours sitting there but it was time to pack up the RV and get on the road again. What a great way to start my retirement.

I hope this post was helpful to any of you who may be looking for places to camp on the east coast of the United States. Post any questions in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.