Friday, September 8, 2017

The Big Goodbye: Full-Time RV Life Begins

This week I retired and had my big good-bye from my job in the Washington, DC metro area. While I am happy that I don't have to go to work anymore, I can honestly say that I am missing my friends and colleagues. My last day, Tuesday, the "lunch bunch" had our final cafeteria meal together. (Thank you T for buying lunch for me). What can I say? This is one of my favorite groups of people. They are funny, hard-working, loving and committed to serving the students, teachers, principals, DRE's and parents of the Catholic schools and parishes in the Archdiocese of Washington. Our time together at lunch was when we supported each other, listened to each others' hardships and made each other laugh. I couldn't have done my job for the past nine years without these amazing people! Thank you, friends!

There were several other amazing things that happened these last few weeks as I prepared to leave the Washington, DC area. A good friend, L you know who you are, offered me the use of her apartment while my RV was getting set up to tow my CR-V. After a wonderful dinner, I was able to walk around the city of DC and say my goodbyes. Washington is an awesome, wonderful, clean, beautiful city (especially at dusk). There is something unique about all the white buildings and the french influence on the architecture of the area around the Mall. Around every corner there is something amazing to see. If you ever have the chance to visit Washington, DC I can highly recommend taking time to walk around the city as the sun is setting. If you can afford it, I also strongly recommend taking one of the evening bus tours. The city is quieter and somehow even more beautiful. (This photo of the United States Capitol Building was taken in the middle of a crosswalk that had a median strip for the street lights so it was safe to stand there. It was either on Pennsylvania or Constitution Avenue).

Now, I know you are asking where I lived while I worked these last few weeks before beginning my RV life. I stayed at Cherry Hill Park in College Park, MD. It was $70 a night ($63 with my Sam's Club discount). I know this sounds expensive, but compared to the neighboring Marriott at $139 a night, it was cheap. Cherry Hill Park also had great amenities. There were two nice pools, a playground, movie nights in a little grotto space, a really nice laundry room next to the TV lounge and a cafeteria. One of the biggest benefits for me was that it was a 20-25 minute commute to my office. The other big plus for others who want to do some sightseeing in DC was that WMATA ran a bus from the RV park to the metro which had trains that ran to downtown DC.  It couldn't be easier to take public transportation to go sightseeing and then have your RV home waiting for you when you return.

Well, I have to go. I am writing this post in a Starbucks in Georgia on my way to Alabama. I will fill you in on more of my adventures as soon as I get wifi access again.

Your friend, Cathy, the Camino Turtle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.