Tuesday, September 19, 2017

DIY RV Repair: Entry Door Privacy Shade

As a new RV owner, one of the things that has been really annoying me this past week is the privacy shade on the entry door of my 2012 Itasca Sunstar 30T. It was not going back up into its casing when I tried to open it in the morning. Since the RV can get kind of dark when the shades are down, this meant that I was having to leave lights on during the day or the kitchen area would be really dark and gloomy. Most of the forums I searched talked about the need to remove the shade from its brackets and then just manually re-roll the shade back onto the tube to tighten it again.  This sounds simple, right? Well, at first I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Unlike regular window shades in your home, where you can actually touch the inside tube, this shade is housed inside a metal box. Others on the RV forums said it couldn't be fixed and they said to just replace the shade. Well, if you know me, you know I am too thrifty to just go out and automatically spend money to replace something. So, I decided to experiment a little to see if I could fix it. As you may know, I am trying to be brave in all things and not let fear stop me (and you should too). What's the worst thing that could happen if I just started experimenting to see what I could do? It might break and I'd have to replace it. What's the best thing that could happen?  I might fix it! Well, it worked and I will show you the steps I took to fix it below with a few screenshots.


One of the first things you will need to do is to remove the screen and the black box it is housed in from the screen door. You do this by removing the little black screw-hole covers (I used the sharp tip of a knife to get them to come off) and then unscrew the box from the door.  I had to use my new handy-dandy solar rechargeable flashlight to see what kind of screwdriver I needed.  (Thanks to Ken for this amazing flashlight!). In my case, it was a Philip's head screw. At first, they didn't seem to be turning but if I wiggled the black box, I could tell when they were coming loose.



Once you have the black shade box off of the door, look inside the box on each end to find the metal ends of the shade. Rub a few drops of silicone or another lubricant (I used the hydraulic fluid/transmission fluid I had handy and a Q-tip to rub the oil on these metal end). Pull the shade in and out a few times to make sure that it is working. Then re-install the black box to the door. Put the little black screw covers back on and you are all set.

Easy-peasy.  Then watch out, cause now the shade will roll-back up quicker than it was before you fixed it. Hope this post will solve this problem for a few other RV owners and save them some money. If you have had a similar problem and found another way to fix it, feel free to share that in the comments below.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.