Saturday, October 7, 2017

Preparing RV for Hurricane Nate

Yes folks, I am still camping near Fairhope, Alabama waiting for Hurricane Nate to hit the Gulf Coast. I decided I would use this post to let you would know that as of Saturday, October 7th, I am safe and sound. I also want to use this post to share some of the safety preparations I made to the RV. First, let me say that if you find a big storm like a hurricane approaching, the smartest thing to do is probably to leave and move your RV to a safer part of the country. (I guess I am not so smart because I decided instead to secure the RV and then shelter in place at my sister Susie's with my parents who are visiting from Ohio.) So, if you aren't so smart, like me, here are eight things I did to prepare my RV to stay for the hurricane.

1. Store all outdoor equipment like patio furniture and grills in RV
2. Fill fresh water tank to add weight. 3. Put stabilizer jacks down.
4. Charge digital devices, smartphone phones, laptops, rechargeable batteries and flashlights.
5. Put important papers in waterproof sleeves and bins. Know where your passport, birth certificate, other licenses, and insurance forms are located. Have emergency and insurance phone numbers written down in case smartphone stops working.
6. Collect drinking water, canned goods and other non-perishable foods (be sure to have an old-fashioned can opener). Cook perishable meats, make salads with veggies and fruit and invite RV neighbors over for a hurricane party before helping everyone to prepare their rigs for the storm.
7. Put together a first aid kit. I also like using essential oils so I put some of the basics I use everyday in my Luci bag tote so I can find them easily.
8. Pull in all awnings and slides so that they will not be damaged by the storm (this is debated on internet, but I decided that it was safest to do this.)

Since I decided not to stay in the RV, I packed up important papers, clothes, first aid kit, toiletries, books to read and games to play and headed to my sister's house. I admit I am a little scared and nervous about leaving my new home, but I know that all will work to the good.

I am going to continue to update these tips on my website so if you are an RV owner and have other weather safety tips to share, please type them in the comments section below and I will add them to the site.

The website is caminoturtletravels.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.