Thursday, December 21, 2017

Fort McAllister State Park, Close to Savannah

After spending 3 weeks visiting family in Charlotte, North Carolina I headed south to Georgia. My original plan was to visit my niece Meghan in Savannah for a few days before continuing my travels southward. Well, things didn't go according to plan because I got a very bad sinus cold, infection, or whatever. So, I decided not to visit Meghan in Savannah because I didn't want to make her and her baby sick. Instead, I was miserable in bed.

On December 2nd I drove from Fort Mills, SC to Fort McAllister State Park which is located just south of Savannah. Since I was feeling so sick, I had to stop quite often to rest during the drive. By the time I arrived at the park, it was later than I usually like to arrive at campgrounds. The sun was just setting over the marshlands as I drove across the causeway to the island. I just had to stop to take this photo with my iPhone.

I found out in the morning from a few of the campground's volunteer hosts that this campground was severely affected by Hurricane Irma. As a matter of fact, they lost over 1,000 trees. Then the storm surge washed away much of the undergrowth. The view of my site from my RV's front windshield shows that despite a lot of work on the part of volunteers, there is still a lot of evidence of the hurricane.

Since I was pretty sick, I didn't really explore the fort or any of the other events that were going on at the park. For example, on December 3rd, the town had a Christmas boat show and fireworks. Others in the campground said it was pretty amazing. I did get out a little bit on my last day to walk on some of the nature trails that go through the marshlands in the campground. It was beautiful.

My thoughts on the campground are that if you want to visit Savannah, this is a great place to camp. The sites are nicely spread out. I really like those located on the outer loop with a view of the marsh. My site was #8. (Can you see my RV and CR-V in the photo on the right?) The campground can be a little swampy feeling and buggy at times, but it is nice and quiet. It has really easy access off of Interstate 95. There is an extra park entrance fee but it wasn't too much. I plan to camp here again as I hope to be in the area regularly to visit family and to do genealogy research in Savannah.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    You know Savannah was the city from which my mother hailed! It is so lovely. Thank you for posting this info,for an added feature to my trip "back home" in March. Muggy and Buggy describe most pastoral or forestry areas of Savannah, but that is also low-country, like SC, so I love it!

    Happy Trails my friend, and Godspeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle:
    Thanks for the comment. I miss you and your words of wisdom. Have fun when you go back to Savannah in March!

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.