Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Using Essential Oils To Feel Better When You Have a Cold

As I mentioned in my last post, I was pretty miserable while camping near Savannah. Sinus drainage and terrible coughing were making it hard for me to visit or explore. I must confess that at first, I did buy a cold remedy product from the local store. It is famous for relieving your stuffy nose so you can sleep. But I hated the way it made me feel when I woke up. I was disoriented and confused. Something that was supposed to make me feel better was making me feel worse. So, I did some research online and read my essential oils reference book to see which oils have components that could help my body naturally support my respiratory system. Young Living's Thieves, oregano and frankincense were my top three favorites.

I put these three essential oils in a vegetable capsule to boost my immune system. But, I felt like I still needed something more to make me feel better. In the past, I would rub a store-bought product on my chest and neck to help me to breathe more freely. Since I wanted a natural alternative, I made my own DIY chest rub with almond oil mixed with Young Living's eucalyptus, peppermint, and wintergreen essential oils. I loved knowing that I wasn't putting a petroleum-based product on my skin. (It smelled great and helped me to breathe better, too)

During the day, I diffused Young Living's "Peace and Calming" essential oil blend to help me to take a few much-needed naps. I also made a linen spray with Young Living's grade A lavender essential oil in it. At night before I went to bed, I sprayed this on my pillow and sheets. Not only did it help to create a relaxed feeling, but it also helped to freshen things.

I got the "recipe" for the spray and a nice pre-made label for my small metal spray bottle from a Pinterest post I found online.  If you want to learn more about this spray recipe or anything else about Young Living, you can contact me using  holyrollingoilers at my gmail.com account.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    How are you!!!!!!? I knew I needed to check up on you and lo and behold, you were talking about something that I TRULY needed! Having allergy symptoms with the mold (ugh remember?) and winter-cleaning and dust!

    Thank you. and you know that we pray for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle:
    Let me know any time you want to chat about oils! I am loving Young Living and all that I am learning about how to live a healthy, toxic-free life. Shannon is also working with the oils, so she can teach you too.
    Peace, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
    roll on bottles for essential oils

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria:
    Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the blog. I took some time off from blogging since all the pandemic travel complications and some family issues. I hope to start blogging again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.