Monday, September 30, 2019

Repel Insects Naturally Using Essential Oils: DIY Bug Spray

Do you hate the idea of using a lot of toxic chemicals to keep bugs off of you? Well, so do I. After doing some research online, I discovered that I could use my essential oils. Hurrah!  So, read on, my friend, to see what I learned so you can deal with those pests without using toxic chemicals, too.

Let's talk about why you want to deter insects and what you might be using now. In the past, when I went camping, I used a lot of bug sprays to stop bugs from biting me. When I was at Disney World two years ago, they gave out insect repellent to deal with mosquitoes and to prevent the spread of disease. Yes, the primary reason most of us use bug sprays is that the bugs bite and they can spread diseases! However, most of the sprays and wipes that I used in the past had big warning labels. I won't name the brands but you likely know which ones I mean. Many of these products contained DEET. In the 1980s and 1990s, a lot of folks had concerns about the possibility of toxicity.  Well, I did some research into DEET using the Environmental Working Group's website and the CDC website. Both of these sites claim that there is no evidence of toxicity in DEET and that given its high level of efficacy, they both approve of the use of DEET to repel mosquitoes to avoid insect-borne diseases like malaria and the zika virus. Neither website had any studies on endocrine disruption, so until they do, I've decided to avoid using DEET.

So, what if you too don't want to use DEET and other store-bought insect repellents because of their long list of warnings and precautions? Well, then, it is time to make a DIY insect repellent using essential oils and a few other simple ingredients.  I found the recipe I am going to share with you on the Wellness Mama website.  I've made this recipe twice (both times adapted - see my notes) since July 2019.

I put Amazon links in the ingredients list so you can see what I bought.  If you don't shop online, you can find many of these ingredients in local stores as well. However, be sure that you are only using therapeutic, Grade A, pure essential oils. Many oils sold in stores are diluted and not safe. I know from my research that Young Living's oils are of the highest quality, so those are the ones I use. I put links in the ingredients list for the Young Living blog so you can read more about each of the oils listed in this DIY recipe.


DIY All-Natural Bug Spray

Ingredients
30 drops geranium essential oil
30 drops citronella essential oil
20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
20 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops rosemary essential oil
1 Tablespoon rubbing alcohol or vodka
1/2 cup all-natural witch hazel
1/2 cup distilled water (or vinegar)
1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin (optional)

Directions
Place the essential oils in a glass spray bottle. Add alcohol and shake well to combine. Add the witch hazel and shake to combine. Add glycerin and shake. Add water and shake again. Makes a little more than 1 cup or about 300 ml. The bottle I used sprays a little strongly and I will likely find a replacement. I have some plastic bottles I like better, but I prefer glass for this essential oil mixture.

Usage
Shake the bottle each time before using to combine. Spray on hair, clothing, and gear. Repeat use every hour or so as needed. I keep a spray bottle on the ledge just inside my RV door and a smaller spray bottle in my backpack for hiking days. Since I live alone, this is not a problem. If you have pets or children with you, I wouldn't leave the bottles on the floor or on a table where they can get it, just in case they might drink it. If using this bug spray with children, Wellness Mama recommends that the spray only be used on clothing and other gear and not directly on their skin.  I found no guidelines for use on your pets, so I can't give you any advice on that.

My Notes 
I made a few changes based on what oils I had in my RV at the time. First, I used Young Living's Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil instead of the Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil.  At the time of this post, Young Living is not yet selling Lemon Eucalyptus Essential Oil. Second, I ran out of Rosemary Essential Oil, so I substituted Young Living's Basil Essential Oil the first time and I used Young Living's Thyme Essential Oil the second time.  Both of these oils have been found to be effective insect repellents and seemed to work well. Third, the first time I made it, I didn't have the glycerin. While it isn't vital to the recipe, it does help to better emulsify the oils with the other ingredients, so I suggest that you do buy it.

Effectiveness
I first used this DIY Bug Spray in July 2019 while camping in the northwest New Jersey forests; I continued to use it in Maine in August, and in the eastern Canadian provinces when I was there in September.  The year 2019 had a wet summer so there were quite a few bugs late into fall. I found that bugs would not land on my skin when I sprayed this mixture on my clothing and skin. I did use it on my skin and found that I had no adverse effects. I love the smell - I am a big fan of Young Living's Geranium Essential Oil. None of the other campers ever complained about the smell and several actually liked it.


Toxic-Free Bug Repellent You Can Buy

If you are not into making DIY products, but you still want an alternative to toxic or potentially toxic bug sprays, then consider buying Young Living's Insect Repellent.  If you are already a member of Young Living, consider adding this to your next Essential Rewards Order.

If you are not already a member and might like to be, you can ask me more about this amazing company. I can tell you more about how you can buy therapeutic, Grade A, pure essential oils and oil-infused products.  If you decide to join Young Living, I can also be your sponsor and mentor you in the use of these amazing products.

You can contact me at holyrollingoilers@gmail.com

I made some shipping labels that you can put on your bottles. Here is the link to my Google Drive file.  DIY Essential Oil Recipes and Labels

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.