Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Surviving a Tornado When You're Camping

Last month while camping in Alabama, I experienced a tornado warning and an actual tornado near my campsite.  At midnight, the government emergency alert blared on my iPhone waking me from a sound sleep. Panicked, I realized the alert was telling me to take shelter immediately. I dressed quickly and headed to our campground's clubhouse which is the only permanent structure on site. The camp host checked that we were all there and then we sat and waited. The wind blew around us at about 60-75 miles an hour. Then the power went out and I sat there in the dark with no iPhone, no personal ID, and no emergency supplies. That's when I began to re-evaluate my actions. I suddenly realized I was not prepared for any emergency when it all happens this quickly.

I Was Lucky to Survive a Tornado
Luckily, the tornado did not hit us directly, some say it made landfall about 3 miles away in a farmer's field. This morning, we could see that there was no major damage to any of the motorhomes, trailers, and campers parked in the campground. However, there was some minor damage caused by fallen pine trees, flying furniture, trees branches, and other debris.  Thank God we survived!

You Have to Act Quickly
Some of you may remember that a few years ago, I survived a hurricane while camping in Alabama and shared in my blog post, "Preparing the RV for Hurricane Nate". In that post, I listed the things I did to prepare my camper and what I took with me to my sister's house to ride out the storm. Well, I learned from my recent tornado warning experience that you have a whole lot less time to respond to the emergency of a tornado than a hurricane.  So, you have to plan ahead so you are ready before you hear that emergency alert. That way you know what you want to grab so you can get out quickly.

What to Prepare Before an Emergency Happens
So, you may be asking, "What if an emergency happens while I am camping? What should I do so I am prepared for an emergency?" Here is a list that I found on the CDC website and how I adapted it to work for me as a full-time camper.
  1. Know your safe shelter. [Living in an RV, this changes every time you change locations, so ask the locals.]
  2. Set up the alert system on your smartphone so you are notified when there is an emergency like a tornado, flash flood, or hurricane.
  3. Have fresh batteries and a battery-operated radio or internet-based device to listen to emergency weather information. [I have a solar-powered battery pack that has USB jacks and a built-in flashlight. I packed extra charger cords since I plan to use my iPhone for my emergency alert and news updates.)
  4. Have an Emergency Kit. [I have a Young Living duffle bag packed with 2 water bottles, some non-perishable food, favorite essential oils, first aid kit, two changes of clothing, and a pair of closed-toe shoes.]
  5. Important information with phone numbers. [Insurance papers, proof of ownership for home, RV, car, etc. Photocopies of passport, driver's license, and other information.  I stored copies in an encrypted online server like DropBox. I put the photocopies inside waterproof sleeve protectors and taped them shut in case the cellphone and internet service is not working.)
  6. I packed all of my things, except the solar flashlight and the iPhone
How Do You Prepare for Storms?
The weather forecasters are predicting more storms for this month. Hopefully, I will be better prepared the next time an emergency alert tells me to seek shelter.

I hope you found these tips to be helpful and that whenever a storm comes your way, you will be ready.  Do you have any other tips for preparing for storms and emergencies? Share these by typing in the comment section below. I love learning from all of you. Thanks, friends.


4 comments:

  1. Wow Cathy! That's pretty scary! So glad you survived the experience unscathed and shared!! Hope you're doing well and let us know if you are back in the DC area. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the DC area and all of my friends there so much. Will definitely let you all know when I am north again.

      Delete
  2. Super helpful! I look forward to meeting up with you on the road sometime!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judy: One of the best parts of RV living is meeting friends on the road. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.