Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Mountains!!!!

Day One - Part Two
The views from the top of the mountains were beautiful but getting to the top was so, so, so hard with an 18-pound pack. The map says we walked 22 kilometers which is a little more than 12 miles but it felt like much, much more. 
But if going up was hard; going down was worse. Rough loose stones and slate jutting up on their sides meant each step had to be taken very carefully. Thank God for the trekking poles. 
I arrived in Zubrini at 5:00pm. I walked 10 hours!!! (Okay, I took breakfast and lunch breaks). Tomorrow I plan to shorten the trip to about 8 miles (turtle time). I met two fellow "turtles" and we plan to walk together for the next week. Then they go back to USA. They plan to walk in stages over the next few years. The dining room at the hostel is shown above. More caffe and bread. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Baptism by fire! I hope you aren't sore today! That's wonderful that you have traveling buddies for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are making friends and hearing about the journeys of other who've felt the same calling to endeavor the Camino. I pray God blesses you to meet the right people who can accompany you.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.