Monday, May 30, 2016

The Kindness of Strangers

I made it to Irache in time to partake from the famous wine fountain. The monks who used to live in the neighboring monastery historically provided pilgrims with free wine to sustain them on their journey. The new owners have continued the tradition. How kind! Unfortunately, the hotel in Irache is no longer in operation so I had to continue my walk to Villamayor de Monjardin.
The albergues were full when I arrived. One host, Sarah offered me her living room floor before suggesting I stay at the local Casa Rural (B&B). For 35 Euros I have a private room, bathroom with tub and free use of the washing machine! I also get the traditional breakfast of coffee, orange juice, and bread with jam. This is just the kind of pampering I need to recharge for the next week of the pilgrimage.  Buen Camino!


3 comments:

  1. Nice! Glad you had some pampering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of you with the wine fountain is PRICELESS! So glad you are treating yourself to a day of rest my friend. Offering up prayers for healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my idea of hiking! Looks like a good rest stop. Glad all is going well. Susie is in Alabama by now. We miss all of you now! Eileen broke a bone in her ankle so will be laid up for a while.Mom is still having pain but is getting around much better.I am fine, just old. Love you!! Dad

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.