Monday, June 13, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Bulls Running

Well, what I missed in Pamplona I found in Sahagun, Spain. "The Running of the Bulls". On Saturday, Sunday, and Monday the town of Sahagun had a big festival in honor of San Juan. It sort of reminded me of a rodeo. There was a big Catholic Mass at noon and then everyone went home for lunch and their siestas. Then at 6:00 the men gathered the "virgin bulls" in the main plaza so they could run them down the streets to the bull ring. Then the clowns in training ran around in the ring with them.
Bands from different towns played music in a kind of battle of the bands and the crowd cheered for their favorite bands, bulls, and clowns. No bulls were killed and it was, in general, a family friendly night. My strategy was to follow the band in the parade with the older couples. Everyone was so generous and they fed me and taught me about their town. I found that I had a great time! 

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! What an awesome adventure you're having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's more than I expected. Harder, more fun, painful and exhilarating!

      Delete
  2. I love your hair color!! It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia is using my gray hair as highlights and adding brown as low lights

      Delete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.