Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Camino de Santiago: Leon versus Burgos

Yesterday I was in Leon, Spain as a pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago. It was a stormy day so that may have influenced my opinion about the city, but I decided that I liked Burgos better. Both have huge gothic cathedrals and older city centers with shops and restaurants. In my opinion, there was more to see and do in Burgos that warranted a second day stay over than in Leon. I also liked the cathedral tour in Burgos better as there was much more to see and learn about. The Burgos tour included their special museum display area in the cost of the ticket. Leon did not.  On the other hand, if it had been a sunny day maybe the Leon Cathedral windows would have been more impressive. 
The other thing that may be influencing my opinion, is that Burgos Cathedral was the first gothic cathedral I saw after seeing so many medieval churches during my earliest days on the Camino de Santiago.  It seemed to lift my spirits and encourage me to continue on my way. In Leon, I am tired and feeling like I want to quit. Amazing how different this stage in the pilgrimage feels to me. Something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! The stained glass windows when the afternoon sun is streaming in are pretty amazing! Was there a bizarre rosary of skulls in the courtyard of the Burgos cathedral when you were there? I have a weird memory of that and some strange music playing in the background, but I didn't do the tour so I had no clue what it was. Would love to know if you know! Did you stay at the convent in Leon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't remember skulls there but saw some on stone walls elsewhere, I stayed at Hostel Leon since convent was completo

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.