Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pilgrim Art

 
Along the Camino, people have taken time to create artwork that depicts their view of a pilgrim. Some show the medieval pilgrim with their long capes, walking stick and drinking gourds. Others show modern pilgrims with their backpacks, sleeping mats, and head scarfs. It's fun to see these statues along the way as they remind us how long the people on the Camino have been housing, feeding and generally taking care of pilgrims. As I walk I remember that millions have walked the path that I am on. St. Francis of Assisi, Templar Knights and the humble medieval pilgrim all on their way to Santiago have experienced the same challenges as me. Kind of amazing how our basic needs haven't changed in over 1000 years, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.