Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Declutter Your Small Kitchen So It Works Better for You

Do you sometimes hate cooking in your small kitchen? Does it seem like every time you open a cabinet door something falls out?  Do you have trouble finding the things you want because you can't see everything in your cabinets or refrigerator? Are you thinking about living full-time in an RV but can't decide what kitchen things to bring with you? Well, then I wrote this blog post for you!

This past month, I decluttered my tiny RV home kitchen using Marie Kondo's Konmari method. This method of tidying lets you keep the things you love and helps you to let go of excess stuff.  Having recently decluttered my clothing, books, paperwork, electronics, and bathroom supplies, I was excited to see how this method might make life in my kitchen more enjoyable.

Marie Kondo's Konmari method breaks the kitchen tidying tasks into three subcategories: the things we use for eating, the things we use for cooking and food storage. I also told myself, that given the limited storage in the RV, items that served more than one purpose were preferred over single-use items. So, let's see what I learned along the way and how this might help you with your own decluttering and/or downsizing journey.

The Things We Use to Eat
When I downsized from my condo to the RV, I gave away a lot of things related to eating: china, crystal, salad bowls, mugs, cups, silver, holiday dishes and so much more. So, I assumed that there wouldn't be anything left to eliminate in this subcategory. Boy was I wrong. For example, after pulling everything out of the cabinets above my TV and out of my camping gear, I realized I had 12 coffee mugs, 8 water bottles, 4 tall travel coffee mugs, 4 juice glasses, 4 water glasses, 2 plastic wine glasses and 8 champagne glasses for just one person.

Since they didn't all fit in the cabinet, they were piled on top of each other and stashed into other spaces. I know you may think there are reasons to keep a few extras around for when I entertain guests, but honestly, it was too much! I was only keeping some things because they had been gifts. In the past, I felt too guilty to give away these things. With the Konmari method, I've learned to be thankful for the experiences of the past. I am better able to let things go.  Now, my favorite cups, mugs, and water bottles are safely and neatly organized into three divided boxes and I find joy in using them every day.

So, how many "eating" things do you have in your kitchen right now that are "just there" because you feel guilty letting them go?  Wouldn't it be better to discover the things you use every day and then create a neater, cleaner more organized way to display them? By just letting go of a few things, you can rediscover the joy of eating with things you love.

The Things We Use to Cook
If you are thinking about living full time in an RV and you love to cook, this is where you will have to make your hardest decisions. It is likely that over the years you've collected lots of gadgets and tools that you enjoy using as you cook.  I know how much I struggled to let go of many of my "cooking toys" when I downsized from my condo. But, after living full time in the RV, I know that the crowded cabinets and workspaces are making me unhappy, so it is time to let go of more things.

Since I felt a little overwhelmed by the idea of sorting through all my kitchen stuff, I divided this cooking subcategory into appliances, pots and pans, and tools for baking and food preparation. I pulled each category out onto my table and asked, "Do these things still bring me joy?" and "Do I really use them often enough for them to take up space in my kitchen?". Here is what made the cut.

Appliances:  My Instant Pot, induction stovetop, Keurig coffeemaker, Food Saver and my grandmother's 1930 waffle iron all made the cut. Each of these items brings me joy and I use them regularly. The blender in the picture is one I loved using, but I found I used my hand blender more often because it was easier to clean. Given the amount of space the countertop blender used, I decided to give it to my sister Susie.

Pots and Pans: Since I do most of my cooking on an induction stovetop, I use a few special pots and pans daily and I really like how food cooks in them. When my sister Susie and I cooked Christmas dinner, I discovered I could really have used a second pot with a lid if I wanted to leave cooked food in the pot. Otherwise, the pots and pans I own now meet my needs. If you are cooking for more than one person, you may need more than me.

Baking Food Prep: I bake and grill in a small convection microwave and not my RV's gas oven. This means the pans I use must be smaller than what you use in a home oven. I also bake in my Instant Pot so I own a 7" springform pan. As someone who loves a good gadget, there are a few things here that are single-use items. The reason I still have them is that using them brings me so much joy!

The Things We Use For Food Storage
I learned a lot about food storage when I moved into the RV. First, if you don't put food in containers in your fridge and cabinets then things are going to fall over when you drive your RV. Second, storage containers should be square or rectangular in space. Round containers waste space. Third, you don't need as many containers as you think you do. There is only so much space in the freezer and refrigerator for leftovers. Also, you can use some containers for eating and storing. For example, I use mason jars as glasses and to store food.

Fourth, if things can't be seen or aren't easy to access, they won't get used. Add extra shelves to cabinets to make the best use out of your limited space. Sort food into containers to stop them from falling out of your cabinets and to make it easier to access. (I bought my pantry storage containers with the handles for $1 each at the Dollar Tree.) Since it is likely some food will be stored in the back, label cabinet doors and containers so you know what you have.

Eliminate Duplicates
The items I've shown you in this blog post are only examples of what I love using to eat and cook. You will have different things you like to use. Whatever you decide to keep, I want to strongly discourage you from keeping duplicates. There is really no reason to keep four can openers or three sets of measuring cups. Given the small space of the RV, you will be washing dishes often enough that the thing you need to use will be clean and ready.

Decluttering Your Kitchen Is Worth the Time
The process of decluttering my small RV kitchen was a lot of work and a little emotional but it was worth it. Now, when I open my cabinets, nothing falls out. When I open my utensil drawer, I can see all my tools. Everything has a place and I love working in my kitchen. During these long winter days, I encourage you to take some time to sort through your kitchen and to say good-bye to things you no longer use or love.  I bet you might even like cooking more when you have a space you love to cook in.

Do you want to learn more about my decluttering process and the Konmari method of tidying? Use these links to see what I've done so far in my efforts to make my RV a tidier and happier place to live.



Do you have suggestions for storage in an RV or tiny kitchen? Are there things you've tried that made your cooking and eating experiences happier? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below.

It would also be helpful to me if people just typed hello in the comments. This will let me know that the blog is working properly.  Thanks, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Starting on this today!’ Thanks Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your time and don't try to do too much in one day. That was one of the mistakes I made. Then I had all this stuff pulled out and piled up and no energy left to sort it. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.