Friday, February 14, 2020

How to Camp for Free in Your SUV

Do you want to go camping more often, but you have a limited budget and can't afford a camper yet?  Do you live full time in a larger RV, but still want to take trips out into the wilderness? Well, friends, let me share what I am learning about how you can camp for free using your SUV, van, truck or car. I'm not an expert on this and I am still learning, but I am fascinated by all the YouTube videos and stories I have heard from other campers who are camping for free in beautiful places.

With a little planning, we can all experience the beauty, joys, and wonders of nature more often. For example, in this photo, I am enjoying my lunch at Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area. You can camp for 3 days for free on the access road if you say that you are observing the wildlife. The access road is located right alongside Vermont's Route 17 near Lake Champlain, so it isn't the quietest place, but it is free and beautiful. So, where else can you camp for free?

What is Free Camping?
Free camping goes by many names. Boondocking and dispersed camping are when you camp for free on public lands with no facilities like bathrooms or showers. Dry camping and primitive camping can take place on a federal or state campsite with no water, electricity or sewer hookups. You may have access to bathrooms or vault toilets for a small fee. Stealth camping is secret camping that takes place in urban settings like neighborhoods, Wal-mart parking lots, rest areas and other public spaces.  So, if you can't afford to pay for a campsite, don't let that stop you from camping. There are lots of different ways to camp for free.

How Do I Find Free Camping Locations?
Once you know the terminology, you can search online to find your free camping spot. Just type in your location and the websites will give you some ideas of where you can stay. Below are a few great camping search websites and iPhone apps that I've used:
In the United States and Canada, public lands often have designated dispersed camping spots. While the camping spots are free, you may need to make reservations or get a permit. To learn what is required, you can check out the agency's website:
What Maps Do I Need?
Bring paper road maps as a backup to your phone's GPS. I can tell you from personal experience, that it is really easy to get lost when you lose your cell signal in remote areas. If you want to know more about how I got lost in Arkansas, click this link.  Since remote roads in national forests often don't show on your iPhone or road atlas maps, you should print National Forest road maps for the area where you will camp before you leave home. If you plan to camp on public lands as part of your regular weekend getaways, you may want to buy a copy of the Benchmarks' Road and Recreation Maps for your state. (Here is a link for Utah as an example)

What Gear Do I Need to Camp for Free?
Once you've selected your camping spot, you need to get some gear ready. I suggest you have a couple of bins to keep your gear in. That way, when the weather is nice, you can be ready to go in minutes. What you decide to bring will vary based on location and personal preference, but I think there are a few essentials everyone should have.
  • Water: Human beings can live without a lot of things, but water is not one of those. I bring 3 gallons of water for each day. The amount you need will vary. The average person should drink half a liter (16 ounces or 2 cups) of water for every hour of moderate activity (hiking) in moderate temperatures.  Bring extra for cooking and washing.  You will also need some water gear. I bring refillable water jugs from Wal-mart, a CamelBak for hiking, and a thermal coffee mug for keeping my drinks hot or cold.
  • Food: I suggest you bring foods that are favorites with picnickers, backpackers, and other wilderness campers. Keep the meals simple but yummy. If the public land agency allows it, you might also bring along a bottle of wine, some beer or sodas. Just remember to bring the corkscrew and/or can opener, if needed.  If your food needs to stay cold, bring a small igloo chest and some ice packs. If you are camping in bear country, follow local agency rules for use of bear lockers and other storage containers.
  • Cooking Gear: If you love coffee as much as I do, you need to bring along a stainless steel filter-less coffee drip cone or French press. You will also need to find a way to boil water. If your camping location allows for campfires and you have access to wood, I recommend you bring some fire starters, a sturdy pot, and some aluminum foil. If campfires aren't allowed, then you can bring a small camp stove with some fuel canisters. What else you bring is based on how much cooking you want to do. Just remember, you have limited water to wash things, so keep it simple. Speaking of washing, I suggest you bring a small wash bin, a washcloth or Buff and dish soap. I use Young Livings Thieves dish soap. A little goes a long way and I like that it's natural.
  • Eating Gear: Once your food is ready, you need a way to eat it. This gear can be as simple as paper plates, waxed paper cups, and plastic silverware. You could even use that old Boy Scout or Girl Scout mess kit. Think "picnic" and you will know what you want to bring. 
  • Sleeping Gear: You can always sleep reclined in the front seat or across the backseat, but if you would like to be more comfortable, I have a few suggestions. First, put your back seats down flat. Throw your food and clothing in the front seats and you are ready to go. Second, put in a camping mattress, spread out a sleeping bag and blankets, add a pillow or two and you are all set. Bring more blankets than you think you need. While you may not need them, it is harder to get warm than it is to cool off. Third, bring mosquito netting or other screening with adhesive Velcro. Creating your own window screens will allow you to crack open your windows to remove excess moisture, let the fresh air in, and keep the bugs out. Only open your windows a little, so you don't encourage curious hands to reach in while you sleep. Leaving your doors or your back hatch open is not an option since this will drain your car battery. Fourth, if you want to block the view, you can create privacy curtains. I got this idea from Wild Mountain Echoes. Their photo is shown above.
  • Clothing and Toiletries: Just a few quick reminders. Dress in layers, so you can regulate your body temperature by adding and removing clothing. Otherwise, just bring what you like to wear. Toiletries can include a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, bug spray, sunscreen, unscented soap, washcloth, towel, and a hairbrush or comb. If you are only camping for a night or two, you won't need much else. If you decide to bring other things, I suggest you bring natural and unscented products. For example, I use Young Living's Thieves Hand Sanitizer. I keep one in my purse, backpack, and car glove box. I love it! Young Living also sells natural sunscreen and bug lotion. If you feel the need to wear makeup, bring that, but leave the perfume and cologne at home.
  • Power Sources: While your car can be a power source, you really shouldn't use the car battery as your main source of electricity. This could drain it and leave you stranded. Now, you could camp without any power sources, but I recommend you have a few just to make things more comfortable. For remote camping, I use batteries and chargers. For example, I like to use a headlamp, so I keep a few AA batteries on hand. You might like to pre-charge and bring along a few USB chargers for your smartphone.  I have a solar charger that is also a flashlight. I use my smartphone a lot to take photos, check the weather service, look up hiking maps, and find my camping spot using the GPS, so I need to recharge it often.
  • Leave No Trace Gear: For those of you who are new to wilderness camping, Leave No Trace means that the wilderness should look as wild when you leave as it did when you arrived. No one should be able to tell that you camped there. To achieve this, you will need a few things. First, garbage bags. I put one in a bin with a snap-close lid to collect trash. This helps to contain the smell. Second, if you are allowed to bury human waste near your campsite, bring toilet paper and a small shovel. If you use wet wipes, don't bury these, put them in your trash. Otherwise, plan to use local rest areas, picnic areas or gas stations to meet your bathroom needs.
What Non-Essentials Make Remote Camping Even Better?

  • Folding Camp Chairs: I honestly think I have the world's most comfortable folding chair by Kijaro. However, you don't really need a fancy folding chair, just something that lets you sit up off the ground. Consider bringing a blanket and a cushion if you plan to sit on the ground.
  • Folding Table: The size can vary based on how many of you are camping.  I have a little folding side table that I bought at Target. It is waterproof and fade-resistant. I set it up next to my chair and now I have a dining room.
  • Hammock: My sister Susie and her kids gave me a hammock with hanging straps as a gift. While I don't use it often at RV parks, I love using it for quick naps when I am hiking. If there aren't a lot of bugs out while you are camping and you feel safe at your camping spot, it can become even your bed.
  • Sports and Hobby Gear: I love to hike when I am camping so I bring a small day pack and my hiking poles. My nephews Dan and Jonathan love to take amazing photos so they bring camera gear. My sister Ginny and her kids love to kayak. Each of has our own reasons for wanting to go out into nature. Think about what you want to do while you are camping in the wild, and throw what you need in the SUV.
  • Books, Games and/or Musical Instruments: If you are camping with a group, consider bringing along a few games or some musical instruments. Two cornhole boards with some beanbags, a deck of cards and your guitar won't take up much space and can add some fun to the evening. For those quiet mornings, you can bring a book to read, a scripture guide, and your journal
How Can I Stay Safe?
One of the reasons I wrote this blog post is that as a single woman, I am afraid to camp alone in a tent. I want to be braver, but I'm not. At the same time, I still really want to camp in beautiful, wild, remote places. I live full time in a motorhome, but it is hard to get a 30 foot RV into some of the most remote locations. So, I decided to try camping in my Honda CR-V. I am still a little nervous about camping alone, but there are some things I bring that help me feel safer. First, I bring is a first aid kit. This helps me handle many medical emergencies. Second, since I already own a $100 Stanley jump starter, I bring that along as well. This isn't essential but if my car or RV battery dies in the middle of nowhere, I can jump it on my own. With all the different outlets it has, I can even run a fan on a hot night if needed. The jump box also has a light and a compressor that will let you inflate a flat tire. As a solo traveler, I think it was worth the investment. Like I said, not essential, but nice to have. Third, in an emergency, I can always call 911. Lastly, I give myself permission to leave and go home if I feel unsafe. After all, I am camping for free, so I have no reason to feel guilty if I decide I want to go home. Knowing I can leave somehow makes me braver.

Well, folks, I hope what I've shared with you about free camping will help to remove any fears you might have and encourage you to get out there and see more of our wild, wonderful world for free!

Click here to see my most recent packing list. Once there, you can print a photo free version.

Please add comments below, if you have other packing tips or know some good places to camp for free. I want this blog to be a place where we learn from each other. Thanks, friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.