Friday, May 27, 2016

This Isn't Spain

Today, Thursday, May 26th is the first time I saw evidence of the conflict between the Basque and the Spanish. Earlier there were bilingual traffic and store signs (Basque and Spanish) in Navarra similar to signs in Quebec or the Celtic parts of Ireland. But today I saw an increase in angry graffiti like the photo above that shouted for independence and self-governance. The little tapas bar across from the Jesus y Maria Albergue where I stayed seemed to be a favorite meeting place for young like-minded Basque men, as the bar had signs in the windows that proclaimed their passionate ideals.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciated the variety in your posts. Thankful for all your are sharing along your journey. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun!! I wait eagerly each day for the new picture and message. Plus today a little history lesson.
    I envy you and your trip except for the up hills. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trip is amazing! I am learning so much from other pilgrims and the local people.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.