Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Tools I Use Regularly In My Full-Time RV Life

I imagine that you are thinking that my full-time life must require some kind of exotic tools. Well, I will admit that there are some tools that are unique to this lifestyle, but for the most part, I use many of the same tools I used as a homeowner.  The difference is that I no longer keep multiples of the same tool. An RV can be a small place to live and store all your things, so you don't really have the luxury of keeping a lot of extra stuff.

Recently, I began to feel a little overwhelmed by all the clutter in my RV. I was forever stepping over or bumping into stuff. My tow car had become my storage locker. I decided it was time to do something about this, so I read a book on tidying by Marie Kondo. If you have been reading this blog since November, you know that I have been Konmari-ing my camper using Marie's method. I am almost finished with this emotionally exhausting exercise, but also excited about how it has improved the quality of my RV life.

What does this have to do with tools? Well, Marie has you sort your belongings by category and I just finished the category she calls "komono". Tools are part of this category.  I found this to be an easy process since my earlier "konmari-ing" work had trained me to know quickly what belongings I should keep and what I should let go of. The other thing I learned during this process, is that it helps me to sort things into sub-categories.  For example, I have work tools like a stapler and a laminator and I own cleaning tools like a bucket and a squeegee.  So, let me share with you my list of tools that I use regularly in my RV life;

RV Home Repair and Maintenance Tools
  • screwdriver with multiple tips
  • hammer
  • mallet
  • wrench
  • Allen wrench
  • pliers
  • measuring tape
  • crowbar
  • ax (trucker's helper)
  • clamp
  • staple gun and staples
  • glue gun and glue sticks
  • replacement LED bulbs
  • voltage tester
  • straight-edge razors
  • painter and duct tapes
  • stud finder
  • level (small green one hangs on a string)
  • twine
  • various types of lubricant sprays 
  • transmission fluid for hydraulic slides and jacks
  • caulk and sealants
Cleaning Tools
  • hose used especially for cleaning, do not use to get drinking water
  • bucket
  • sponges and rags
  • squeegee
  • long-handled mop to wash RV exterior and floors
  • duster to wipe down RV exterior between washings
  • cordless vacuum cleaner
  • trash bags (researching a plastic-free alternative)
  • dustpan and hand broom
  • broom for RV floors
  • collapsable extension ladder, folding step stool
  • Young Living's Thieves cleaner, I use to wash everything. Love it!
RV Mechanical Tools
  • a compressor that can inflate RV tires
  • a jump box to jump car or RV batteries
  • long jumper cables, just in case
  • slinky waste hose, hose caps, and gloves to wear while dumping tanks
  • wheel chocks
  • drinking water hose filter
  • drinking water hose (not pictured - it is blue)
  • "house" electric adaptors (50 amp to 30 amp dog bone)
  • ice scraper
  • RV tow car braking system

Work Tools and Stationary
  • laminator and pocket sheets
  • stapler and staples
  • rubberbands
  • paper clips and larger clips
  • pens and pencils
  • highlighters, dry erase and sharpie markers
  • scissors (since the photo was taken, kept favorite and gave away the other)
  • mailing envelopes
  • notebooks
  • ruler
  • post-it notes and scotch tape
  • Logi external web camera
  • Logitech headset with microphone
  • Laptop
  • iPhone
  • Verizon MiFi
  • miscellaneous toys and props for teaching class
Sports and Camping Tools

  • tent, tent poles, and rain fly
  • sleeping bag liner
  • foam mattress
  • hammock and straps
  • foil emergency blanket
  • first aid kit
  • solar flashlight
  • camping nesting pots and a frying pan
  • campfire grill
  • camping mess kit
  • camping utensils and a Swiss army knife
  • Coleman camp stove
  • propane canisters
  • CamelBak water bag
  • fire starters
  • hiking poles
  • clothesline rope and straps for securing items
  • folding saw
  • igloo chest
  • long trip backpack
  • daypack and fanny pack
  • swim noodles and swim shoes
  • picnic tablecloth, paper plates, cups and bowls
Closing Thoughts
Well, folks, that's just a quick post to give you some ideas about the kinds of tools you might need if you want to live fulltime in an RV. While your list will vary based on your own hobbies and interests, I hope you found my list to be a good place to start. 

As you can see, you likely have most of these in your homes right now.  If you watch YouTube videos, you will see a lot of suggestions on cool tools and gadgets you can buy to make your life easier in an RV. While it can be tempting to buy these wonderful things, remember, you will need to find places to put all that stuff. Most of my tools are stored in a small toolbox I keep in my bedside table, a drawer in the living room, a drawer in the bedroom and two Ziplock waterproof bins I keep under the RV in "basement" storage. I found over the past two years, that I am happiest when my RV is clean and clutter-free.


If you have any questions or suggestions, please type those in the comment section below. This blog is a place to learn and I love learning from all of you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is used to share photos and stories from my adventures with both older and younger friends and family, please keep your comments G-rated. Thank you.